Friday, July 25, 2014

Ryder Cup Update

I've been promising this for a bit, but let's take a look at how the teams are shaping up at the three-quarter
pole.  We'll break precedent and start with the home team and holders:

If the points race ended after the Open Championship, the nione automatic qualifiers would be:

  1. Rory McIlroy
  2. Victor Dubuisson
  3. Jamie Donaldson
  4. Henrik Stenson
  5. Sergio Garcia
  6. Justin Rose
  7. Martin Kaymer
  8. Thomas Bjorn
  9. Luke Donald
For the time being, I've ignored the complication in their points system.  I'm not surprised to see Donaldson qualifying off the Euro points list, since that's where he plays all of his golf.  But I am surprise to see Bjorn and Donald in the mix, as they don't seem to have done much lately (especially Donald).

Since anyone who might sneak into the top four on the Euro list also appears on the international list, we'll list those just on the wrong side of the bubble:

  1. Stephen Gallacher
  2. Graeme McDowell
  3. Ian Poulter
  4. The Most Interesting Man in Golf
  5. Francesco Molinari
Before we get to my thoughts on how this team will fill out, there was this from our Monty:
“If Langer and I were paired together in the foursomes, we’d feel we could bring a point home
for Europe,” Montgomerie said. “We’d need to sit out the fourballs though – we’d be knackered. 
“But it is definitely a possibility for a 50-year-old-plus to play and compete. 
"Tom Watson proved it at the Open in 2009 and I’m so looking forward myself to playing in the USPGA Championship in a few weeks. If I can play the way I did in the last round of the Senior PGA and the first round of the US Senior Open – two 65's – then I can compete at Valhalla.”
It's  great to have confidence, but.... In watching the Senior Open Championship yesterday, I was amused to hear the commentators opine that Bernhard Langer will receive serious consideration as a Ryder Cup Captain's Pick.  Really, guys?  'Cause I'm guessing he'll get as much consideration as I will... he's a great player who's become a force of nature amongst the round-bellies, but McGinley ain't going there.  The only senior who might be on McGinley's radar is Jimenez, who has actually earned Ryde rCup points, but the Spaniard is such a short hitter that I can't see it.

From where I sit, I consider Poulter and McDowell to be mortal locks for Captain's Picks, leaving one slot up in the air.  Names such as Lee Westwood, who is pretty far down the list will be bandied about, as will Gallacher because he's a Scot.  If I were McGinley, though, I'd think long and hard about Jonas Blixt, who is one of the better putters out there.  Remember, you heard it here first.

Now shall we look at the Yanks?  As of today, your nine automatic qualifiers are as follows:

  1. Bubba Watson
  2. Jimmy Walker
  3. Rickie Fowler
  4. Jim Furyk
  5. Dustin Johnson
  6. Jordan Spieth
  7. Matt Kuchar
  8. Jason Dufner
  9. Zach Johnson
Not sure of you're reaction, but that roster sure doesn't blow me away.  Here's a short list of those who might still have time to make a move and qualify:
  1. Patrick Reed
  2. Phil Mickelson
  3. Brendon Todd
  4. Chris Kirk
  5. Ryan Moore
Names like Webb Simpson, Harris English and Keegan Bradley are further down the list, and I needed a CTR-F to find Tiger in 70th places.

And again before getting to my thoughts, Sam Weinman brings news that Jack has stuck his nose in where it really has no business:

Are you ready for the ad nauseam discussion over whether Tiger Woods deserves to be on the U.S. Ryder Cup team? No? Too bad, because it's already well under way.

After Woods himself chimed in on Sunday at the British Open to say he would contribute to captain Tom Watson's team, Jack Nicklaus said on Thursday a Woods wildcard pick is essentially a no-brainer. But hey, no pressure, Tom!
Is it really that hard to beg off the question?  Just say that it's Tom's decision and look around for the next hand in the air.  We've been all over the issue of Tiger having nowhere to play after the PGA, so it is a conundrum for the Cap'n. no doubt.

I found it interesting how Tiger and Phil differed in their approach to the question.  The former was electioneering at the polls per this Guardian account:
It's more likely Watson pulling out his hair.
Meanwhile, if Woods were in Watson's shoes -- and you know one day he will be -- he said he'd have no problem picking himself. 
"I got picked by Corey back [in 2010]. I was coming off an injury as well there with my Achilles and I sat out for most of the summer, and I felt like I was able to contribute to the team," Woods said. "And that's all you want as a pick -- you want someone who can contribute to the team, whether it's in support or it's in play. I did it then and, hopefully, I can actually earn my way onto this team."
I think Cap'n. Tom is as likely to pick Tiger for his "support" as he is as an excuse to meet Lindsey Vonn.  

Phil took the opposite tack, candidly speculating as whether he's deserving:
"I don't know if I played well enough this year to deserve a spot," he said. "You want players
Why is this man smiling?  Errr, because he always is.
that are hot, that are playing well. And I need to step (up) and start doing that."
He also had this, with which I fully agree:
"I don't want to look at it and think about it too much," Mickelson said. "If I play like I did this week at Akron and the PGA, I'll be fine. I'll be on it. But it would be beneficial for both me and Tom [Watson] if I can do it on my own."
The American list looks to be more fluid than the Euro list, making it far more difficult to know who will qualify on their own.  I do believe that Phil needing a pick will complicate the Tiger decision, I still believe it to be highly likely that both will be in Gleneagles.  After all, the Tiger decision is not about him in isolation, it's a matter of Tiger vs. the alternative, say Chris Kirk.   As the Ghostbusters asked, "Who ya gonna call?"

No comments:

Post a Comment